Nov 2, 2014

DIY Minion Costume: The Outfit + Minion Hat for Halloween





While browsing Pinterest I came across a DIY Minion Tutorial that I really liked. So I decided, since I've been piecing together some past cosplays, why not make my own Halloween costume?

Supplies

Minion Goggles [tutorial here]

  • Using supplies from Home Depot and the dollar store, I cover a tutorial on DIY Minion Goggles here.



Minion Outfit [scroll down for logo print out how-to]
  • Yellow Shirt ($6.95 from H&M)
  • Blue Shorts/skirt ($12 from H&M)
  • Knee-High Socks ($9 from Walmart)
  • Black Shoes (flats) ($9 from Walmart) 
  • Suspenders ($9.50 from Hot Topic)
  • Print logo to t-shirt ~$22


Minion Hat [for tutorial, scroll down]
  • Craft Foam for minion hat (< $10)
  • Glue gun with glue (less than $4 at the dollar store)



Getting the Printed-Tee

There were several options to get the printed logo, this "Gru Logo" which I have provided in large resolution here [click for large version, png]:





Option 1:  USE BLACK FABRIC MARKER: You can print it out, cut out the black parts and use a black fabric marker to draw on the t-shirt

A screenshot from Bethany Mota's DIY Despicable Me Minion Costume. 
OR
Option 2: GET THE LOGO CUSTOM PRINTED: Get it printed a custom t-shirt store. I found a really decently priced place in Toronto (Baked Tees) that can do it same day. I decided to go with a custom logo print since I plan on using this shirt in the future (cons? halloween parties?).

In Toronto, there are several custom t-shirt stores that are good, affordable options.

Ensure you go in with resolution: 300 dpi, I saved the file on a USB and set the image settings to 10 inches by 10 inches. Here are my photoshop settings:



Inside the t-shirt print store, Freshly Baked Tees:


At the t-shirt shop, getting it printed in a logo press:


Total cost was $19.75 + tax was approximately ~$22.00

And here's the print!


Craft Foam Minion Hat





The template I based off this Instructables Hex Hat using Craft Foam using the 6 Orange Hat pieces, and the Brown hat brim based on the advice in the comments section a lady had done to make a Mario hat for her son's Halloween costume:


Template [click to enlarge, original source templates and full here]





Pictures from the Night


My girlfriends and I for with our DIY Minion costumes!





To receive updates, follow me on InstagramTwitter and on Facebook.
You can also subscribe to this blog via BlogLovin

See more posts on cosplay and halloween

No comments:

Post a Comment