Oct 9, 2014

Breakdancing


"You can learn new things at any time in your life if you're willing to be a beginner. 
If you actually learn to like being a beginner, the whole world opens up to you." -Barbara Sher

I've been dancing salsa pretty regularly for the past year (actually, just over a year) and I've built some confidence in my skills and abilities. I can follow pretty well and dance in a social setting.

The idea of feeling bad at something is very uncomfortable for me. I like the idea of being competent and decently skilled at any particular activity. So as someone that has finished school, and have been doing a very familiar set of hobbies/activities for a long time, I haven't had that feeling of "being a beginner" for a while.

Anytime you learn a new skill - riding a bike, playing a new sport, playing a new instrument - its inevitable, you're going to suck at it - like be really really embarrassingly bad. "Sucking", at least initially, is a necessary step to eventual mastery of a skill. Embracing this attitude humbles us, and forces us to be comfortable with being uncomfortable. And that if we continue working persistently at it with deliberate practice, we can get a level where we don't suck as much - we might even become good, or great at what we do.

For me the activity I "suck at" is urban dance. I've attempted hip hop before, bad at it.  I decided to take up breakdancing after trying out one class and really enjoying the class, teacher, and moves we were learning (top rock, down rock and freezes - beginner class doesn't cover power moves like windmills).


If someone shows me a set of choreography, I'm relatively okay at replicating it. For the first few classes we did a "monkey see monkey do" routine. The instructor showed us some moves and we copied it. Very straight forward, very non-threatening and comfortable.

What REALLY pushed me outside of my comfort zone was when we tried applying what we learned in freestyle. Our instructor introduced us to breakdancing "cyphers" aka a dance circle. We play the bboy music and take turns trying out different moves we learned together. All of us are beginners (albeit 1 or 2 I'm PRETTY sure had bboyed before) but we encouraged each other, cheering or saying "good job good job" if one of us messed up.  When it was my turn, I went into the circle and did my thing, and I was HORRIBLE at it. I felt eembarrassed self-conscious... all really unfamiliar, uncomfortable feelings.  However in spite of this, I was absolutely delighted and excited - for the first time (in a long time) I felt challenged. I went home thinking about how much practice I needed before I would enter the dance circle again.


My mind was just teeming with possibilities, all the things I could learn. I didn't really care that I probably looked really bad at it, I was genuinely enjoying myself. I left each class feeling I had learned so much, and I was just eager to learn and practice more. It helped that my classmates were super friendly and teacher was very open and helped us learn at a relatively quick pace.

What I also really enjoyed about the class was how athletic breakdancing actually is. It requires a lot of core strength, flexibility and balance. Someone referred to it as the "martial arts" of urban dance. I can see why - some moves that our instructor demo'ed were gravity defying.

Group handstands. 

Practicing a "CC" move. 


Doing a shoulder freeze, one of my classmates doing a turtle freeze.
I've been learning breakdancing for the past month about once a week. We have our last class next week. I'm sad that the class is coming to a close, but happy to have been exposed to something that I pretty much stumbled upon by accident. 

Is there anything new that you've wanted to learn recently? 



To receive updates, follow me on InstagramTwitter and on Facebook.
You can also subscribe to this blog via BlogLovin

See more posts on dance 

No comments:

Post a Comment