Aug 16, 2014

Photographing the Night Sky


My friend and I set out about 1.5 hour away from the big city to find a remote place where there was very little light pollution. It was so remote I could hear cows mooing in the distance. We setup our tripods and proceeded to take photos with shutterspeeds of 30+ seconds. The results were beautiful.

The Milky Way



I still cannot believe thats a photo I took. At first I thought my camera screen was fuzzy or the lens was dirty, but then I quickly realized that it was in fact, gas clouds from the milky way.

The Big Dipper






Post-processing in Lightroom

I followed this night photography tutorial and learned some neat features in Lightroom.

Before:
Camera Settings: ISO 400, 18 mm, f/4.5, 30.0 seconds
This is the original image I took RAW, was very dark.

Processing in Lightroom:

I added +1.70 Exposure, +37 Contrast, ,  +32 Highlights,  +Clarity.


Noise reduction: This feature is BRILLIANT!! Whenever I've taken photos with high ISO I always get so much noise. So if you go under "Detail" and slide the scale for "Noise Reduction" (Luminance) from to 75 to 100  it does a wonderful job of removing all the grainyness from the night sky.



After: I then adjusted the temperature and tint to give a colour that I preferred. 



The stars were not as luminous apparently as they could have been, and that orange glow you see in the picture is actually from a nearby city. 

Definitely something I'd like to try again!

 
To receive updates, follow me on InstagramTwitter and on Facebook.
You can also subscribe to this blog via BlogLovin.

See more posts on photography.

1 comment:

  1. Reduce noise is such a life safer! This is a great tutorial, the photos look AMAZING!! :)

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete