May 11, 2014

Happy Mother's Day



"A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends desert us; when trouble thickens around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts." ― Washington Irving



Growing up I always viewed my mother as immortal and all knowing. My mom after all, taught me to read, how to tell time, drilling multiplication tables, was there for my first words, my first steps, my first day of school, daycare trips, you name it. So much of that has changed growing up, I realized that I didn't always agree with her views and felt frustration at times when I felt misunderstood (as many of us do during our angsty teen years).

As I got older, and I grew up and got out on my own - something about the way that I viewed my mom changed. She didn't seem like the traditional tiger mom that was always overbearing and strict. She was a woman who dropped everything to come here so that her children could thrive. She came from poverty and war in Vietnam to start a better life here in Canada, and she wanted my brother and I to do well. This is the self-sacrifice many immigrant families go through to start the cycle of abundance for future generations: coming to a new country so your children have better opportunities.

My mom recently ran into some health difficulties, and I saw my mom in a way that I never had before - vulnerable. It made me appreciate having her in my life, and to not take the time I have with her for granted.

Happy Mother's Day :)

 
To receive updates, follow me on InstagramTwitter and on Facebook.
You can also subscribe to this blog via BlogLovin.

See more posts on reflections.

1 comment:

  1. My mother and father also left their home country to the USA for a better life and future. I don't think I would be that strong to do that. My mother is the most caring and hard working person I know. She definitely put up with some very rude attitude of mine during my early teens...so glad you are cherishing every moment with her :-) I know it's a day late but Happy Mothers Day to your mom :-)

    ReplyDelete