Apr 19, 2014

Sushi à la carte: Japango

Japango is a small sushi restaurant in the downtown core by Yonge and Dundas Square in Toronto. I had never heard of this place before, and it is literally tiny - with only a few tables to spare it gets busy very quickly. A true hidden gem for sushi lovers in Toronto!

My experience with sushi has always been All You Can Eat (AYCE). Like any buffet I go to, I go in with the mindset that I have to eat my money's worth (as much as possible). I usually leave feeling sick to my stomach. I realize I bring that upon myself, but I don't think thats what eating experiences should be like.

A changing eating experience: My recent eating stints have always had two themes: good food, good company. Swapping stories, experiences and sharing laughs. Today's trip to Japango was no exception. I went with two good friends from my salsa classes, Reza and Felix, and we were looking for a "sushi" place to eat before they headed out to the Toronto Salsa Congress at the Sheraton hotel.

As soon as I sat down, I had a look at the menu and decided to go with something familiar that I always enjoy eating: salmon sashimi. I decided today that I wanted to try something on the menu that I never had before: their signature roll.


Japango "signature" roll is salmon and scallop role, with red tobiko, tuna, spicy mayonnaise, and terryaki sauce.
The scallop was lightly torched and provided an interesting texture for the scallop!



Salmon Nigiri Sushi: which is essentially a slice of raw salmon, placed on top of vinegar rice
with a little bit of Wasabi in between. I loved the garnishes
One order of salmon sashimi comes with 4 - 6 slices, depending on thickness of each piece. 
They also have a "Chopsticks Club" reserved for the most loyal of customers that come often. You go there often, the chefs recognize you and determine whether or not you are worthy of receiving chopstick box with your name on it to go on display on their hall of fame that hangs at the back of their open kitchen.

I had a nice leisurely walk home (40 minute walk) to digest. Yet another great food experience to add to my list of Easter weekend activities. 

Cheers,
 
To receive updates, follow me on InstagramTwitter and on Facebook.
You can also subscribe to this blog via BlogLovin.

See more posts on excursions in Toronto.

No comments:

Post a Comment