Apr 18, 2014

Building up Resilience

{via}

"It is not possible to change anything until you understand the substance you wish to change.” 
― Jeanette Winterson

My last few meet-ups with good friends has been enlightening on a few fronts. I love having deep conversations and there were a lot of interesting topics that came up. Specifically, a friend had taken up training for a marathon in the past year. He mentioned that although physical conditioning required persistent practice, it was the mental limitations that he found difficult to overcome (which usually occurred after 15 km).





Then I thought about it, training for a marathon requires running, not the full 42km, but starting with 1 km, then 5, then 10, etc. I often find whenever I pursue a new endeavor, I try to do all 42 km all at once (figuratively speaking) rather than step by step in order to build the physical and mental strength to do it. Whenever I'm working out at the gym, trying to stick to healthier eating habits, or even trying to master a new skill its often the mental discipline (or lack thereof) that sabotages my efforts - boredom, frustration, temptation, and feelings of deprivation (why can't I have that cookie?) that drive me towards behaviors that are non-productive towards my goals.

With the Easter Long Weekend, I've taken time out of my hectic schedule to relax. During this time, I've been doing a lot of self-reflection, as well as bouncing ideas off of close friends, co-workers and family about priorities, health and relationships.

I feel extremely lucky to have a great support network during hectic times. Cheers to that.

Happy Easter (:
 
To receive updates, follow me on InstagramTwitter and on Facebook.
You can also subscribe to this blog via BlogLovin.

See more posts on diary.

No comments:

Post a Comment